Uniworld River Cruises South Africa: Terms & Conditions
We at Uniworld want to do everything we can to make sure your trip is enjoyable and worry-free. As part of that commitment, we are including the following information about your trip. By confirming the reservation with payment, the guest/travel agent acknowledges that they are aware of and will comply with these terms and conditions. We reserve the right to change our terms and conditions, please visit www.uniworld.com/za/terms-and-conditions for updates.
All prices are per guest in South African Rand based on double occupancy unless otherwise noted. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Availability of all stateroom categories cannot be guaranteed. Fares for single guests are available upon request. Additional restrictions may apply.
Reservations and Payments: A deposit of at least 10% of the cruise-tour fare (cruise-tour plus port charges plus pre and or post land extensions, less applicable discounts), per person is required within 72 hours of reservation. Final payment is due at least 120 days prior to departure. Reservations will be cancelled if final payment is not received in a timely manner.
Payment in full for the airfare booked in conjunction with a Uniworld cruise/tour is required at time of booking. Upon receipt of full air payment your airfare, tax and fuel surcharges are final. You may cancel your air within 24 hours of booking and not be penalised, providing no payment has been made. If full payment has been made, cancellation or changes will result in additional fees, dependent on the airline.
Items Not Included in the Published Price: These include, but are not limited to, airfares to and from your destination except where specified; airport/departure taxes; aircraft seat assignments, cost of passport and visas; taxes; excess baggage charges; laundry; phone calls; all items of a personal nature; items not included on regular menus; expenses for additional sightseeing not specified in the itinerary; and health, accident, baggage, or travel protection plans.
Complimentary Beverage Programme:
- Europe and Russia: Complimentary beverages onboard: including wine, beer, spirits, specialty coffee, tea, soft drinks and mineral water.
- India, Vietnam & Cambodia: Complimentary house wine, local spirits and beer, soft drinks, tea and coffee will be served throughout the cruise. Onshore lunches include complimentary soft drinks, coffee, and tea. Onshore dinners include complimentary house wine, local beer, soft drinks, coffee, and tea.
- China: Complimentary house wine, local spirits and beer. soft drinks, tea, and coffee will be served at the Explorer Bar, deck 6, between 3pm and 11pm throughout the cruise. Onboard lunches and dinner include complimentary house wine, local beer, soft drinks, coffee and tea. Onshore lunches and dinners include complimentary soft drinks, coffee and tea.
- Egypt: Complimentary house wine, local beer, soft drinks, tea, and coffee will be served during lunch and dinner onboard.
Europe, Russia, Asia and Egypt: Gratuities for onboard and onshore personnel (ship staff, crew, Cruise/Tour Manager, local experts, drivers) are included, both during the cruise-tour as well as on any pre- or post-cruise land extensions.
Cancellation Policy: We hope nothing will come between you and your Uniworld holiday. Should you need to cancel your booking or any portion of it, your cancellation must be received in writing. It will be effective on the date of receipt.
These cancellation charges noted below are in addition to any cancellation charges that might be levied by your travel agent. There is no refund for unused services or unused portions of the trip. For additional worry-free travel, please see the Gold Seal Protection section of the brochure or website. We recommend guests consider purchasing comprehensive travel insurance at the time of booking.
Cancellation charges, per person and based upon the date of cancellation, are as follows:
**Fare is defined as the cost of any cruise, land, purchased from Uniworld. Cancellation charges are calculated against the amount payable to Uniworld for any cruise, land, purchased from Uniworld.
Deposit Protection Plan — Our 5-Year Guarantee: Should your plans change and you cancel your booking one hundred and twenty (120) days or more prior to your cruise-tour start date, you will receive a credit of R 3 000 per person, valid for up to five years from date of cancellation. This credit cannot be used as deposit or Gold Seal Protection payment for a future booking and can only be used as a credit (no cash value) towards a new booking on an alternative departure. Only one credit per person can be applied to each cruise or cruise/tour booked, and is combinable with all current Uniworld promotions.
ILLNESS OR ABSENTEEISM: In the event of your withdrawal from a cruise after commencement for reasons of illness, you must obtain a medical certificate in support of any insurance claim. We regret that no refunds can be made for absences from a cruise, including but not limited to missed meals or sightseeing.
Cruise/Tour Revision Fee: A fee of R 500 per person, per transaction, will be charged for any passenger name change, cruise date change (within the same calendar year only) or itinerary change made to a reservation after the booking is confirmed unless the change increases the value of the booking. A passenger name change, cruise date change or itinerary change within 120 days of departure will be treated as a cancellation subject to our cancellation policy and a new reservation must be made. Cancellation charges (as shown above) will apply. Any revision to a booking may result in the loss of a confirmed airline reservation, change fees (refer to the Air Travel change fees section for details) and increased airfare in addition to any charges levied by the airlines, which will be payable by the Passenger.
Airlines and Airfare: Airfares are subject to change or withdrawal at any time (without notice), and airlines reserve the right to change the payment due date at any point prior to ticketing. Changes to flight itineraries and name changes may result in penalties charged by the airline concerned and passed on to the passenger.
Air Inclusive Promotions: All tickets must be issued by the end of any air inclusive promotion, unless otherwise stated. For any airfares where the airline has not yet published their schedule at time of booking your cruise/cruise package, we will aim to contact your travel advisor within fourteen (14) days of your preferred return flight date becoming available, if advised at time of booking.
Air Revision Fee: A fee of R 500 per person will be charged for any revision or alteration made to an airfare after confirmation. This charge will apply each time you make a change. If you change your air travel plans after your ticket is issued, you will be charged R 1 100 per person per change, plus any airline-imposed penalties which may be up to 100% of the air ticket value.
Airline Cancellations: If you choose to cancel your air arrangements at any time, your air deposit will be non-refundable, alongside any fees and charges the airline may impose for cancellation under the rules of the air ticket that has been issued by Uniworld on your behalf. Inside 120 days the full airfare costs are non-refundable. For air booked under “air included” or promotional offers, cancellation charges may be deducted from any cruise fare refund you may be entitled to under our Cancellation Policy.
Air Bookings and Restrictions: Uniworld is not responsible for denied boarding or reissued costs due to an incorrect name, date of birth or gender information supplied to Uniworld. Flight itineraries supplied prior to ticketing are subject to change without notice. Uniworld is not responsible for any inconvenience or costs or fees incurred as a result of delays, lost luggage, or disruption of air service. Flight itineraries provided are subject to change by the Air Carrier(s).
Seat Assignments and Special Services: Requests for seat assignments, special meals and special services must be made directly to the airline. Not all airlines offer pre-assigned seating and any additional charge will be at the guests’ expense. Seating is solely under the airlines control as are itinerary changes, flight delays and schedule changes.
Airport/Ship Transfers: If you purchase a Uniworld Air-Inclusive Cruise, you enjoy the special included convenience of scheduled group transfers between the airport and the ship/hotel on the day the cruise or cruise/tour begins, and between the ship/hotel and the airport on the day the cruise or cruise/tour ends. There may be a waiting period between transfers of 2 hours or more unless private car transfers have been purchased. Private car transfers are only available on the cruise or cruise/tour start/end dates. If your flight arrangements arrive/depart outside of these parameters, you must make your own transfer arrangements.
Making Your Own Flight Arrangements: Should you elect to make your own flight arrangements, Uniworld will provide complimentary scheduled group transfers to/from the ship/hotel as long as your flights arrive/depart in the cruise or cruise/tour starting/ending cities in accordance with the start/ending dates shown on this website and your flight arrangements comply with the Transfer Guidelines as shown below. If your flight arrangements arrive/depart outside of these parameters, you must make your own transfer arrangements. Uniworld will not be responsible for late arrivals or missed transfers due to delayed or cancelled flights, for missed cruise/trip days, or for extra costs resulting from the foregoing. To qualify for transfers, it is required that flight information and pre-trip arrangements for all passengers making their own flight arrangements be given to Uniworld no later than forty-five (45) days prior to departure and conform to the Transfer Guidelines below:
TRANSFER GUIDELINES: Flights must arrive/depart within the following time limits:
Arrival guidelines for the programs listed below are 5 am – 2:30 pm
- Castles along the Rhine (Amsterdam to Basel)
Arrival guidelines for the programs listed below are 5 am – 3:30 pm
- Delightful Danube (cruise only Nuremberg to Budapest)
- Paris & Normandy (Paris to Paris)
- Burgundy & Provence (Lyon to Avignon)
- Burgundy & Provence (Avignon to Lyon)
- A Portrait of Majestic France (Paris to Bordeaux)
- Grand France (Paris to Avignon)
- Grand France (Avignon to Paris)
- Parisian Royal Holiday (Paris to Paris)
- Brilliant Bordeaux (Bordeaux to Bordeaux)
- Ultimate France (Avignon to Bordeaux)
- Ultimate France (Bordeaux to Avignon)
Baggage Fees, Baggage and Personal Belongings: Uniworld allows one (1) suitcase, one (1) carry-on bag, and one (1) personal bag (handbag, computer case, etc.) per person onboard our ships and motor coaches. Airlines may have additional baggage restrictions and may impose additional fees for checked baggage and/or excess baggage (visit: iflybags.com). Additional taxes and surcharges may be collected by foreign government and non-government entities. Keep an eye on your baggage—it is your responsibility throughout the trip. Uniworld is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage to baggage and/or personal belongings at any time during the cruise, or on included transfers and other transportation. We recommend Comprehensive International Travel Insurance is obtained by all travellers to provide cover for any lost, stolen or damaged baggage.
Flights included as part of the cruise-tour itinerary: Should your Uniworld itinerary include one or more flights within the region visited as part of your cruise-tour itinerary, such flights will be in economy class. Should passengers’ baggage exceed the airline’s limit, excess baggage fees may be levied and will be the passengers’ responsibility to pay (visit: iﬂybags.com).
Documents: Uniworld will issue your travel documentation approximately 40 days before your cruise/tour departure date, provided that Uniworld receives your completed Passenger Information Form and your booking is paid in full.
E-Documents: Small actions can make a big difference as proven true with our One Tree Planted partnership. After booking your cruise, if you elect to receive your pre-cruise documentation digitally, we will plant a tree in your honour—a simple move that has a lasting impact.
Passport/Visa: A valid passport is required to travel on all Uniworld programs. Passports must be valid for at least six (6) months after the scheduled return date of the trip. You should check with your travel agent or the South African Consulate Service for information regarding necessary documentation. Non South African citizens must check with the appropriate consular office for entry requirements pertaining to your trip.
Any visa(s) or other documentation required for a particular itinerary is the sole responsibility of the guest. Obtaining and carrying these documents is your sole responsibility. Uniworld will not be responsible for advising and/or obtaining required travel documentation for any passenger, or for any delays, damages and/or losses, including missed portions of your trip, related to improper travel documentation. Entry to another country may be refused even if the required information and travel documents are complete.
For entry to Tibet, a visa is not necessary, but an entry permit is required for all passport holders. Uniworld will provide a Tibet Entry Permit while on the tour for all guests. In order for us to properly arrange for your Tibet Entry Permit in advance, please email a copy of the photo page of your passport as well as a copy of your China visa to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than forty-five (45) days prior to departure. Please include your name and Uniworld River Cruises (South Africa) booking number in your email.
For entry to Cambodia, our Tour Manager will take care of obtaining Cambodian visas for each Guest while on the tour. Each Guest will need to provide the Tour Manager with their passport and $50 USD cash per person while on the tour for this purpose. The Tour Manager will then submit all passports to the Cambodian Immigration Authorities and obtain the visas. For southbound Mekong cruises, this will be done at the Siem Reap Airport. For northbound Mekong cruises, this will be done onboard the Mekong Navigator or Mekong Jewel prior to entering Cambodia.
Due to government-imposed security/immigration measures, passport information and emergency contact information are required for all passengers prior to release of documentation.
Travel Protection Plan: Uniworld makes every effort to ensure that your trip is safe and enjoyable. However, situations beyond our control may occur. Also, keep in mind that your medical aid plan coverage for a stay outside South Africa may be limited. We recommend you obtain a travel protection plan.
Itinerary Changes: You can count on the value of Uniworld’s experience and regional knowledge to make sure you enjoy your cruise or cruise/tour even when conditions beyond our control occur. The very nature of a river, its sources, and networks of bridges and locks, means that there will be times when weather or other conditions in a region require Uniworld to make adjustments and/or modifications to an itinerary. Although every effort will be made to keep itineraries, vessels, and hotels as they are shown in the brochure, Uniworld reserves the right to substitute itineraries, hotels or vessels. In such cases, we will do everything we can to make sure the locations visited, the excursions taken and the hotels or vessels offered are similar to the ones originally planned. Any changes to itineraries will not result in eligibility for a refund. Itineraries are subject to change without notice and may need to be altered specifically because of water levels, wind factors, or other conditions.
Extensions/Land Tours: Uniworld reserves the right to reschedule and/or cancel land extensions or land tours if the minimum number of participants (20 people) is not met or for safety reasons. If you, as the Passenger, choose to cancel your pre- or post-cruise extension one hundred and nineteen (119) days or less before departure, then please refer to the Cancellation Policy section for the applicable cancellation policy and penalties that will be applied.
Advanced, Cancelled, or Delayed Sailing: Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute hotels or vessels. Uniworld shall not be liable for any loss to you by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise or cruise/tour.
Stateroom Changes: If due to unexpected technical or other unforeseen circumstances, it becomes necessary to change a guest’s stateroom onboard, any change to stateroom category will result in eligibility for a refund equal to the fare difference between the category booked and the category or relocation.
Security: Security is a major concern to all of us and the situation globally is constantly changing. Events around the world, coupled with the “Travel Advisories” put out by various governments, may at times necessitate changes to the accommodations and itinerary or even trip cancellation. You must accept these risks involved in travel to any country that may experience security difficulties and accept responsibility for your own travel decisions.
Health and Mobility: The Company strives to provide a safe, enjoyable, and memorable travel experience for all passengers. The Company welcomes passengers with special needs or disabilities. However, please note the following:
- Passengers are required to advise the Company, in advance, of any physical, medical, emotional or mental condition which may require professional attention during the cruise or other special needs that require accommodation.
- All guests must ensure they are medically and physically fit for travel. The Company may impose safety requirements necessary for the safe operation of the tour. The Company may also exclude an individual from participating in a tour or an activity if that individual’s participation poses a direct threat to health or safety.
- The Company does not provide personal devices (such as wheelchairs, hearing aids or prescription eye glasses) or services of a personal nature (such as pushing a wheelchair or assistance in eating, toileting or dressing). A companion capable of providing such assistance must accompany any passenger who requires services of a personal nature.
- The Company does not employ medical personnel. Any necessary medical attention will be provided by a local facility at the passenger’s expense. The Company is not responsible or liable for any losses or costs incurred as a result of medical services obtained while on tour, or for the quality of the care or services received.
Passengers should be aware some tours include rough terrain, extensive walking over cobblestone streets, uneven pavement, steps and locations which may not be easily accessible or accessible by wheelchair. During the tour, the Company may make arrangements with carriers, hotels and other independent suppliers to provide travel services. These parties are independent entities over which the Company has no control. Accommodations on international tours may differ from those in South Africa. The Company cannot guarantee disability access or accommodations for passengers travelling on international tours. The Company may, in its sole discretion, decline the booking of any passenger or remove any passenger who cannot comply or refuses to comply with the Company’s terms and conditions. The Company is not responsible for any costs incurred in the event a passenger is removed from a tour. Passengers agree not to hold the Company or any of its related entities liable for any actions taken under these terms and conditions.
Young Travellers: Guests who are 4 to 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult who is 21 years of age or older. Our Generations programme is for ages 4-17 (children must be within age range at time of departure). Please note: Our Generations programme departures include programs and services designed for families travelling with children. Adults accompanying children are responsible for their safety and behaviour onboard and onshore.
Smoking Policy: For the comfort of all our Guests, smoking is only permitted on the sun decks of our ships. Smoking is not permitted on motor coaches. This policy applies to all forms of smoking materials including vapor e-cigarettes.
Diets: Please advise the Uniworld reservation agent of specific dietary considerations and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please also indicate your needs when you complete the Passenger Information Form at uniworld.com.
Pets: Pets, including service animals, are not permitted on Uniworld trips.
YOUR CRUISE TICKET CONTRACT: Transportation aboard the ship is provided solely by the Suppliers (Ship Owners) pursuant to the terms and conditions of the Passenger Ticket Contract that you will receive prior to embarkation. A copy of the form of the cruise ticket contract terms and conditions will be provided upon request, or can be viewed on our website at uniworld.com. Please note the Passenger Ticket Contract includes a clause specifying the courts of Basel, Switzerland as the exclusive forum for resolving disputes. The Passenger Ticket Contract is governed by the law of Switzerland and is subject to limitations of liability and time limits for making claims under the Athens Convention Relating to the Carriage of Passengers and Their Luggage by Sea, 1974 (“Athens Convention”) and the International Convention on Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims, 1976 (“1976 Convention”). Where the terms of this Contract conflict with any applicable mandatory provision of law or international convention, including, where applicable, the Strasbourg Convention on the Limitation of Liability in Inland Navigation, 2012 (the “CLNI Convention”), the provisions of that law or convention prevail. Copies of applicable Conventions are available on request.
RESPONSIBILITY AND WAIVER
Uniworld River Cruises South Africa, referred to as the Operators, are the agents for Uniworld River Cruises International Ltd., who have empowered the Operators on its behalf to undertake the following duties:
- The operators shall be responsible to the passenger for supplying the services described in this brochure, except where such services cannot be supplied or the itinerary used is changed due delays or other causes of whatever kind or nature beyond the control of the comparable services and itineraries and there shall be no refund in this connection.
- This brochure represents the entire agreement between the passenger and the above-mentioned operators.
- In the absence of their own negligence, neither the operators nor their agents or cooperating organisations shall be responsible for any cancellations or for acts of any other service providers concerned, diversions or substitutions of equipment of any act, variations, postponements, omission or default whatsoever by air carriers, land carriers, hoteliers or hotels, transportation companies or any other persons providing any of the services and accommodations to passengers including any results thereof such as changes in services accommodations or facilitations necessitated by same. Nor shall they be liable for any loss or damage to baggage or property or for injury illness or death or for any damages or claims whatsoever arising from loss negligence or delay from the act, error, omission default or negligence of any person not their direct employee or under their exclusive control including any act error omission default or negligence of any country government or governmental authority, officer or employee. All baggage and personal effects are at all times and in all circumstances at the risk of the passenger, Baggage insurance is recommended. The carriers, hotels, and other suppliers who provide services on tour are independent contractors, they are not agents employees or servants of the Operators or their associated companies. The Operators are not responsible for any criminal conduct by third parties.
- Where the passenger occupies a motor coach seat fitted with a safety belt, neither the Operators, nor their agents or cooperating organisations or service providers concerned will be liable for any injury, illness or death or for any loss or damages or claims whatsoever arising from any accident or incident if the safety belt is not being worn at the time of such accident or injury.
- Transportation companies, airlines, etc. are not to be held responsible for any act, omission or event during the time passengers are not onboard planes, transportation or conveyances. The passenger contracts in use by the airlines or transportation companies when used shall constitute the sole contract between the airline, transportation and passenger or purchaser of this tour and the Operators assume no responsibility in this connection. Enrolment in and payment for a tour shall constitute agreement and acceptance by the passenger of the terms and conditions set forth in this brochure which cannot be varied except in writing by an officer of the company.
- Uniworld River Cruises South Africa is only responsible for the services of reservations and ticketing. It does not accept any responsibility or liability for any of the acts, omissions or defaults, whether negligent or otherwise, or its principal Uniworld River Cruises International Ltd., or any of the companies of the Uniworld group of companies. None of the companies in the Uniworld group of companies, or any of their servants or agents, accept any responsibility or liability for your acts, omissions, defaults, conduct, state of health, condition or circumstances. It is your responsibility to comply with the terms, conditions or requirements of any service provider, or any country or governmental authorities, or to bear any costs or losses incurred as a consequence of you not complying with them.
- All bookings made with any provider of any transport, facilities, meals, other goods or of any services are subject to terms and conditions imposed by them. If you decide that you do not want to visit a country or part of a country you intended to visit because of any law, condition or requirement of any government or governmental authority, official, servant or agent, you are responsible for any costs, expenses, charges, fees, losses or damage incurred as a consequence and any cancellation or amendment fees. Uniworld, does not accept any responsibility or liability for your acts, omissions, defaults, conduct, state of health, condition or circumstances.
Errors and Omissions: Uniworld is not responsible for omissions, printing and/or presentation errors in brochures, on Internet sites, or in any other media where such information may be presented; we reserve the right to make corrections as required.
Agreement: The payment of a deposit and/or the issuance of tickets or vouchers shall be deemed your consent to the terms and conditions as presented herein. If your booking arrangements are made through a travel agent, the person effecting the booking shall be deemed to have accepted the booking conditions.
Time of Publishing: The Terms and Conditions listed are those in effect at the time of printing and remain in effect until replaced. These Terms and Conditions replace all previous versions.
Booking Arrangements: Your booking arrangements are to be made by your Travel Agent or directly with Uniworld and the person affecting the booking shall be deemed to have accepted the booking conditions.
Data Protection Statement: In order to process your tour booking, Uniworld will need to use personal information for you and other passengers included in your booking. This personal information may include each passenger’s name, address, phone number, email address, passport number, credit/debit card number and sensitive information such as health, medical, dietary, mobility, religious or other special requirements. This personal information may be passed on to other suppliers of your travel arrangements in addition to the public authorities (such as customs and immigration), security and credit checking organisations, and otherwise as required by law. Similarly, we may also need to provide personal information to contractors who provide services to or for us (e.g., sending mail, processing payments, providing marketing assistance). This may involve sending personal information (including sensitive information) to other countries that may not afford the same level of protection of personal information.
We may also use the personal information you provide us to review and improve the cruises and services that we offer, and to contact you (by post, email and/or telephone) about other cruise/tours and services offered by us, that you may be interested in. If you don’t want to receive this information, or if you want a copy of the personal information we hold about you, write to us at Uniworld River Cruises, The Travel House, 3rd Floor, 6 Hood Ave, Rosebank, 2196, South Africa. Uniworld River Cruises may charge a fee for supplying you with this information as permitted by law.
GOLD SEAL PROTECTION
The Uniworld “Gold Seal Protection” policy is available for purchase for R 1 450 per person. Under this programme Uniworld will provide guests with 100% of the Uniworld cancellation penalties in the form of a future cruise credit certificate, should a guest need to cancel their cruise/tour prior to their originally scheduled flight departure date from South Africa. (Please refer to the CANCELLATION POLICY for a breakdown of the Uniworld cancellation charges based on the date of cancellation). Cancellation penalties are reimbursed in the form of a Uniworld Cruise Certificate, allowing guests a two (2) year window period during which to travel with Uniworld at a later date. Please note that to be eligible for the “Gold Seal Protection” guests must enrol and pay for the policy at the time the initial deposit is made. The Cruise Certificate is issued in the event of cancellation and is valid for travel within two years from the date of issue, is non-transferable, non-refundable and may not be redeemed for cash. The Uniworld “Gold Seal Protection” policy does not cover airfare.
UNIWORLD RIVER CRUISES SOUTH AFRICA
The Travel House, 3rd Floor
06 Hood Ave
(011) 280 8400
(011) 280 8460
PO Box 413786
Docex 122 Randburg