Explore Germany’s rich, tumultuous and extraordinarily complex history, a journey encompassing trial and tribulation, discrimination and survival.
As Europe’s most diverse country, Germany presents an intriguing kaleidoscope of emotion and discovery for today’s Jewish Heritage travellers.
Come away with an even more profound respect and appreciation for the enduring strength, spirit and resilience of the Jewish people.
For anyone with an interest in Jewish history and culture, few places today hold greater significance than Germany, now home to the world’s fastest-growing Jewish community.
Uniworld’s Jewish Heritage cruises celebrate the 2,000-year-old Jewish legacy in the Rhineland. Our distinctively different program—the only Jewish Heritage itinerary on the Rhine River—showcases Jewish communities and the many positive developments that can be seen throughout Germany today.
While visits to Jewish cemeteries, memorials and WWII camps are an important part of this journey, our aim is to tell the whole story—the story of how the Jewish people thrived for centuries in Germany and are flourishing there once again.
With a motto of “no request too large, no detail too small,” Uniworld takes great pride in being the world’s only authentic boutique cruise line. We’re known for our one-of-a-kind ships, welcoming ambiance and unsurpassed service, signature elements that elevate all-inclusive river cruising to a whole new category of luxury travel.
The elegant River Ambassador features the old-world craftsmanship and sophisticated amenities that set our ships apart, such as Savoir® of England beds, original art and beautiful antiques. Cruising aboard a floating boutique hotel allows for step-to-shore access and up-close views of dramatic scenery – plus, you only have to unpack once!
A Legacy of Service
At Uniworld, exceptional service begins with you. By getting to know your personal preferences, our resourceful staff can better anticipate your every need. With one of the highest staff-to-guest ratios on the rivers, your every request is swiftly fulfilled. Guests staying in suites also enjoy extra pampering provided by our team of professional butlers.
The gourmet (non-kosher) meals served onboard are prepared with the finest local ingredients. We also offer a generous choice of complimentary beverages, including fine wines curated by our expert sommeliers. The readers of SAVEUR named us "Best Culinary Cruise Line," and our Culinary Director Gerard van Helvoot was recently inducted into the prestigious Chaîne des Rôtisseurs culinary guild.
What makes the excursions on our Jewish Heritage cruises different from all others? Here are just a few reasons why Rhine-Main Discovery & Munich is so unique:
- Uniworld is the only river cruise line offering Jewish Heritage tours along the spectacularly scenic Upper Middle Rhine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site lined with more castles and fortresses than any other river valley on earth.
- Our meticulously planned shore excursions feature an enticing mixture of old and new, past and present, with visits to magnificent synagogues, Jewish cemeteries and memorials, exceptional museum collections, historic ghettos and more.
- Our commitment to building cross-cultural “bridges of understanding” is the foundation of everything we do, and you’ll remember the local people you meet as much as the places you visit.
- All shore excursions are led by knowledgeable, sensitive and enthusiastic guides who can explain complex social and historical realities in understandable and relatable terms. Passionate and articulate, they possess a genuine love for the “Jewish way of life” and their stories and insights are completely captivating.
- Customize your trip with our robust menu of adventures—select a Jewish Heritage tour, one of our standard or Choice Is Yours tours, or venture ashore to explore on your own.
Munich’s burgeoning Jewish community is experiencing some of the most dynamic and exciting changes in all of Germany. Enjoy visits to the new Ohel Jakob Synagogue, a contemporary architectural gem; the Jewish Museum; and Munich’s bustling Jewish Community Center.
Our half-day excursion to Dachau—the site of Germany’s first Nazi concentration camp—is a profoundly moving experience, one you will truly “Never Forget.” Our expert guide will provide invaluable insights as you tour the camp, the Dachau Museum and Jewish Memorial Chapel.
In the city that hosted the famous Nuremberg Trials, you’ll visit Courtroom 600, the history-making venue where a “crime against humanity” was legally defined for the first time. You’ll also see the Documentation Center Nazi Party Rally Grounds, a must-see for any Jewish visitor.
The Jewish people have played a key role in Frankfurt’s success, most notably the Rothschild family—their incredible rags-to-riches story has all the elements of a Hollywood movie. Learn more at the Judengasse Museum and visit the Jewish cemetery and its Wall of Remembrance.*
Wertheim has all the character of an old Franconian town, and traces of the Jews who once lived here can still be seen in the old synagogue, mikveh and Jewish cemetery. Look for “stumbling stones” embedded in the pavement, mini memorials for locals who perished in the Holocaust.*
Home to Europe’s oldest Jewish community north of the Alps, Cologne is experiencing a genuine Jewish revival. You’ll visit the heart and soul of the local Jewish community—the Great Roonstrasse Synagogue, the only one to survive WWII—and tour the city’s old Jewish Quarter.
*Guests have a choice of Jewish Wertheim or Frankfurt’s Judengasse Museum.
While there are many tantalizing things to see and do on our Jewish Heritage itinerary, there’s also ample time to relax and enjoy the River Ambassador’s luxurious amenities.
Health & Wellness
Rhine-Main Discovery & Munich
Munich to Cologne / 10 Days
Your all-inclusive Uniworld boutique river cruise includes:
- 7-night cruise/tour in a riverview stateroom on River Ambassador
- 2 nights in Munich at Le Meridien Munich (or similar) with breakfast
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- Port charges and all gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- All meals onboard, with in-room dining available 24/7
- Unlimited beverages onboard
- 9 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions
- Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- 8 days of shore excursions with expert guides
- 4 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Services of an experienced Cruise Manager
- Personal Quietvox audio headsets