- 3 poussins, split in half and backbone removed
- 500ml fresh lemon juice
- 250ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pre-heat the oven grill for 15 minutes before using. Season the chicken
with salt and pepper, then grill, turning once, for 20-30 minutes or until the
skin is golden brown and the juices run clear when the bird is pierced with
a fork. Remove from the grill and, using a very sharp knife, cut each half
into 4 pieces.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the lemon juice, oil, vinegar, garlic,
oregano and seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and
leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place the chicken on a grill pan and return to the grill for 5 minutes or until
very brown. Turn each piece, basting with the liquid, and grill for a further
minute. You may need to add a little more oil and lemon to taste.
Remove from the grill and place chicken onto a warm serving dish. This is
also delicious served cold at room temperature.