“My children say that this is my signature dessert, and it is now a Red Carnation institution.”
Celebrity Chef & Founder of Red Carnation Hotels
- 1 cup (250 ml) corn syrup or glucose syrup
- 1 cup (250 g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking soda, sifted
- 1 quart (1 L) vanilla ice cream
- Dissolve the syrup, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat. Turn the heat up high and boil until the syrup turns to a light caramel color.
- Take the pan off the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda. Pour the mixture into a high-sided baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and greased with butter. Leave to cool and harden; do not refrigerate. Once hardened, this brittle, crunchy slab becomes your honeycomb base.
- Slightly soften the vanilla ice cream in a chilled ceramic bowl. Carefully break the honeycomb slab into various sizes, none more than 3/4 inch (2-cm) squares, and quickly fold half into the ice cream. Pour the ice cream into a desired ice cream mold or back into the original ice cream container and freeze again. Keep the remaining honeycomb in an airtight container to use as a topping when serving.